Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rambling Media Man

I don't really have much going on that is noteworthy, nothing of real entertainment or amusement or heartbreak, just me and some random real life boring crap.

So, this is pretty much a quick rant on a few recent things having to do with the media. The first of which is now almost old news: George Carlin's death on Sunday. While I can't claim that he was one of my favorite comedians, I can say that he amused me. Plus, as all the heartfelt obituaries have said, he was a pioneer for vulgarity, and being a pre-vert myself, I can't help but give a moment of silence for a funny, fellow pre-vert.

On the book front, I finished both The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and The Bus Driver Who Wanted to Be God & Other Stories. Oscar is, by and large, one of the best books I've ever read. It's heartbreaking and amusing, catering to both regular literary fiends and comic geeks alike. The blending of pop culture and real life is nothing short of beautiful in this book. As for Bus Driver, it's like most short story collections: Some are amazing; others are sub-par. Though due to its shortness, I'd still suggest it to anyone--especially those interested in the Flash Fiction form.

And lastly, my review for The Love Guru should be up, here, soon. And come tomorrow there will be a new comic as well.

(Oh, and if anyone knows or deals with Freewebs.com and can give me some feedback on them, I'd be much obliged. Trying to get that new comic of mine up and going. Thanks.)

No comments: