Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Pluses and Minuses of Other People's Weddings

Bear with me here as I get a bit sappy. Other people's weddings make you remember your own, give your memory a swift kick in the happiness chops--which isn't all bad. It's good to think about those occasions where life was about as good as it can get, unless of course someone stood up and screamed that they'd knocked up your wife the previous month, or your mother-in-law pees on your dress, or your best man gets thrown in jail during the bachelor's party with you in tow. Sure, things can go wrong, people can get married for the wrong reasons, but it's still a day that you pledge your love, truthfully or not, to someone for life. It's a big thing. And other people's weddings can help your lackluster day shine brighter.

As for the downsides, it all depends on how well you know the bride and groom, and their attendees. Even then, it's going to be boring for everyone but the mothers and grandmothers. For serious, weddings are boring. Especially if you don't really know either the bride or the groom.

If you're wondering, yes, I recently attended a wedding of a couple that I only slightly knew--they were more the friends of my wife. It was nice enough, but only because my wife didn't make us go to the reception. I can lose an hour and a half from my day and not be too peeved. Anything more than two and I start to get pissed. (This all goes back to that selfish part of me I discussed in this blog.) There is only so much boring a guy can take before he wants to start throwing folding chairs into the crowd and see what happens. Though this rarely happens since most of us are born with such wonderful inhibitors that keep us from doing such terrible things. (CURSE YOU INHIBITORS!!! [The camera pans back as I scream into the tiled ceiling over my desk.])

Anywho, @@The Incredible Hulk@@ review should be up soon. So should Logan's review for @@The Happening@@. And expect a new comic tomorrow that will finish up the bit of an arc I had going.

No comments: