Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I'm Home?

Have you ever gotten home and realized that you didn't want to be there anymore, that it didn't even feel like home, and you hated the dull carpet smell, the pasty walls, and the humming air conditioner?

So many people say that you need a vacation to recover from your vacation, but this time, I just felt like the thing should never end, that where I was visiting is where I needed to be, closer to my brothers, my parents, my cousin, my in-laws, closer to the things that matter: family. Normally, I try not to be a sap for this kind of thing, but after two years away from any of them, I finally, really and truly, miss them. (Sorry for all the adverbs. Apparently writing sappy family things calls for many of the cursed parts of speech.)

We pulled up in between the yellow lines of the cracked parking lot, and I felt like I didn't belong, that I didn't even want to try and belong, that I just wanted to get away from the heady spring flowers, the muggy air and make like the gingerbread man and just run, run, run. I don't think I'd even mind being eaten in the end...

What's worse is that I don't even know what to do with this feeling, shoving it into a ball and trying to bury it somewhere between my kidney and gallbladder doesn't seem to be working. Trying to ignore it only makes me chew on my nails. And the unease it's causing makes me want to quit my job, give up my writer dreams, and hobo it up in a box in my brother's back yard.

Anyway, this has been more than enough ranting for one blog, and now that I've got this off my chest, I'll fill you in on the details of my vacation, time away, including: food service fun, the Lady of Supreese, shooting guns, reading good things, watching random flicks, and other such amazing facts. Hope you enjoyed my fable. I'll try to hook up such things when I'm on vacation, or if I just feel lazy, which is ironic since they take more work than these ramblings. Oh well. Such is the life of a wannabe many things.

p.s. my review for Prince Caspian is finally up. I think...

No comments: