Friday, June 20, 2008

Adaptations

I just finished Etgar Keret's novella, "Kneller's Happy Campers," and I must speak about such things. For those of you that don't read a film's credits, the film Wristcutters: A Love Story is an adaptation of "Kneller's..." And I must say that both compliment each other quite well. I'm rather torn as to which I preferred. The best thing I can compare it to is the difference between Fight Club and Fight Club. One is not really better than the other, but I think that there is an odd synergy between the two. They are good in and of themselves, but when combined with the other, they create something new.

I say this because, while I enjoyed Fight Club, the book, I couldn't help but wonder if it was because I could already SEE Brad Pitt and Edward Norton in my mind's eye. That I didn't need any of the description, which Palahniuk doesn't give anyway, because I had their mugs in my mind. The same goes for "Kneller's..." I'd already seen Wristcutters and had all the characters planted in my brain, waiting to sprout across the page. And all I could picture throughout the novella were the scenes from the film. Makes me want the opposite to happen. To read the book first, then see the flick, but with the way I am, I doubt this will ever happen.

In all honesty though, I think that's what a good adaptation should be, good enough to stand alone, have a few elements changed to offer something "new," but in the end, it's really just a good tribute/homage to source material.

There are a few things I'd love to adapt. There is this game Psychonauts that would just make a killer comic series/graphic novel. And I have a fair share of books that I'd love to see hit the big screen. Alas, I have yet to be famous and hit my stride and make friends with all these famous people that will not only allow me to adapt their material, but pay me to do it too. So, Tim Schafer, if you're reading this, let me make Psychonauts into a comic. I swear, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: