Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Looming Holiday

I don't know whether or not it was an early celebration or a need to see Bill Pullman as president, but my wife decided to watch Independence Day last night. It's not a movie I ever really cared for to begin with, but I forgot how not good it actually is. But what plucked my amusement string is the fact that regardless of the "Yea, America!" tones of the film, it just couldn't be made at this point in time--and only 12 years after it's release. Regardless of how cheesy it was upon release, no one, and I mean NO ONE, would buy into the idea that the president would be climbing into the cockpit of an F-16 to take down a group of hostile aliens. I'm not a politically inclined person, but politics within film and film history have interested me for years--perhaps it has something to do with that worthless bachelor's degree in Film Production...

I guess I just find it sad that we've degenerated so much over the years. And while I doubt anyone was picturing Clinton in Pullman's shoes, the fact that our country was built by men and women with a dream to change the world and create a place worth living in has now become a country where we can't even consider the idea that the leader of our nation would, if worse came to worse, grab a gun and hit the frontlines is a sad thing to consider. Again, I don't often care about these kind of things, but in a nation that was supposed to be built for the average Joe, the distinction between regular and privileged persons is growing with a rapidity that is almost scary.

Though an even scarier thought is that all of this ranting came about because of a Roland Emmerich film... There truly is something wrong with the world today.

No comments: