Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Divine Providence?

I always find it weird and rather frightening that my interest in specific things tend to make them prominent in the world. I suppose it can always just be attributed to the fact that once you KNOW about something, you are more attuned to it, and thus see it everywhere. Like when you get a new car, you suddenly notice that EVERYONE has a car just like yours.

My latest example of this has come in the form of G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who was Thursday. I found this book while poking around Goodreads and thought that it would be something I would like to read. I go to buy the thing at BN (yes, I know, they're the devil to the book world), and though their website had said it was in stock, they were sold out when I got to the store. Someone else had caught the Chesteron bug. Since then, I haven't been able to find a copy and was starting to talk myself out of wanting the thing. But, once again, the book entered my life through the latest issue of The New Yorker that contained an article about the book's and Chesterton's history. Apparently, the book is celebrating its 100 year anniversary, so it is no wonder that it has been popping up all over the place.

It just always feels like an odd coincidence when these sorts of things happen, how my fixation seems to be the world's, though this probably has something to do with my subconscious narcissism.

No comments: