Friday, May 1, 2009

Digital Painting

As you can see, this is still a work in progress, and for the most part, I still have no idea what I'm doing, but I think I'm starting to get competent in my incompetency--if that makes any sense. I call these things PeeBees, somewhere between Slimer from GhostBusters and an Isz from The Maxx by Sam Keith. They like shiny things and live in the ground along mountainsides. Perhaps I'll write an illustrated story with these things sometime... or just let them take over a Gibberish or two, either way, the PeeBees have invaded my noggin' and have yet to get their pinkish little mits of my brain meats.

Talking about the art style itself, the whole digital painting look, I'm still not so sure I'm sold on the thing. Granted, I'm nowhere near as good as some of the others--including this one, which is one of my favs--but I just feel like it looks too "realistic" for my style. I suppose it's hard to mix cartoons and reality without losing too much of one or the other, and I likes me cartoons. Maybe I just haven't given it enough time--which is probably the case--but I don't know how much I like this aesthetic. I'll keep playing, for awhile, and try and mix more of this technique with my own goofings-around, but I can't imagine this will be a media I will persue for very long--at least the serious side of things.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do you like what you see? Like my other stuff better? Or is it too early to tell?

I'll try and post the progression of this piece, and maybe I'll like it more as I press on.

Thanks much, all, and have a good weekend seeing Wolverine. Hopefully it won't suck as much as I fear it will.

No comments: