Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Brothers Bloom

I still hold it against Lincoln for not getting this film into theatres around here. Seriously, it wasn't even that tiny of a release...

Despite my not being able to see it in theatres, I was very pleased to finally have had the chance to check it out. With how much I enjoyed Brick, I had high hopes for The Brothers Bloom--especially since I really like the cast for the film. A day later, I can't decide how much I liked this one. I keep thinking about it, certain scenes and moments, so that in itself is better than most films. Plus, I already want to watch it again, just to see if I can "figure out" some of the subtle clues dropped along the way. And even if you don't like the film overall, the first half hour or so of the film is nothing short of brilliant AND hysterical. I haven't laughed that much at a film in awhile. Perhaps I'm just easily entertained, but part of me seems to resonate with Rian Johnson's humor. If you enjoyed Brick, I wouldn't miss this one. And if you like caper/grifter flicks, this one is playful enough to keep you on your toes--even for veterans of the genre. Basically, I can't think of a good reason not to watch this one, just be warned that it isn't as quite of a feel-good movie as you might expect.

No comments: