Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Two Mini-Reviews

In the last few days, I've actually had time to watch a couple of films and decided to share my two cents.

s. Darko: Seriously, this was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. With the exception of a few rather fine shots, the film has nothing going for it. For the most part, the acting is bad. The script makes no sense. And unlike Richard Kelly (who wasn't associated at all with this film) when these people fail, the film simply rots. (In case you're wondering what I mean... Basically, I've decided/found out that everything I tend to like about Richard Kelly films is not what he intended. Thus, when he fails is when he suceeds.)

More often than not, I like bad horror movies. They're good for a laugh--and laughing is always good. However, this one was just a mess, one cryptic remark after another followed by some wannabe-experimental shot that's then combined with a few cliches along the way. I'd read some bad reviews for this one, but I decided to see for myself. Please, people, learn from my mistake, kill your curiosity now, and save yourself those two hours.

Land of the Lost: While this was almost as much gibberish as the above film, it was much more entertaining. The story was nothing more than one bit of nonsense followed by an action sequence, and often, the two overlap.

Really, as with most of his films, it boils down to whether or not you like Will Ferrell. If you do, this one is a good time. If you don't, then, well, you're better off staying away.

For me, I enjoyed the addition of Danny McBride to the mix. He's quite a funny guy, and if you haven't seen The Foot Fist Way or Tropic Thunder, do yourself a favor and check 'em out.

Gibberish tomorrow.

No comments: