Friday, June 12, 2009

Disappoinxcitment


Like Where the Wild Things Are, I've been waiting for this film ever since I heard about it awhile ago. This is one of the best books I've probably ever read--and I've read quite a few. I'll admit that I usually have a very pessimistic view on adaptations, but I figured that a book as stark as this--plus with the amazing No Country for Old Men, I had hoped for this one.

It still looks like it will be worth a looksee, but unless the trailer is trying to simply trick the American market and make the thing appear more commercial, it looks like they've taken quite a bit of liberty with a Cormac McCarthy masterpiece.

Perhaps you should wait to read the book until AFTER you see the film, so as not to be disappointed. Whether before or after, though, I demand that you read this novel. It is amazing, and a very easy read to boot, lots of breaks and white space.

I suppose we'll see about this soon enough--not much after we find out where, in fact, the wild things are.

No comments: