Wednesday, March 18, 2009

What's the Deal?

I bet many of you thought this about yesterday's comic. What's the deal with the the crazy texture? It's a painting. The first I've completed. I plan on doing more of such things, in fact, tomorrow is another painting Gibberish. Unlike this one though--as it is already spoken for--tomorrow's issue/painting will be for sale on my Etsy shop, which I also plan to do more of--painting and selling the paintings.

And now that the self-promotion is out of the way...

The Wackness. Whether or not you've heard of the film is beside the point--though now that you have, I urge you to add it to your Netflix queue. The point, for me, is that someone told my story. Not my true-life tale or any such thing, but I've never watched or heard or read a story that has such similar themes to my own novel--Levine's film even has slight variations of my characters. This bothers me, because now I have a mild feeling that my story has already been told.

I realize that every story has been told before, but it is a little disheartening to find your story being told in such a recent form--as the film just came out late last year. *sigh*

I'll carry on though. Why? Becuase not everyone is going to see that film. Even those of you reading this, will doubtless forget about it in a day or two. And I think it is a good story, one that needs to be told and reach as many people as possible. Hopefully, my novel will stretch into the corners and territories that The Wackness and other similar stories which I haven't discovered yet, and the message will expand. Because that's what any form of storytelling is, right? Having a message, and trying to communicate it.

I have one.

I'm trying.

No comments: