Monday, January 19, 2009

Residency

Happy MLK day. I hope most, if not all of you, can have a bit of a holiday, on this a celebration of one of the greatest men to ever live.

As I said on Friday, I'd keep this brief, and basically catch everyone up to speed on what happened over the two week period where my retelling of Nutcracker Prince occurred.

This last portion had to do with my MFA program and the twice a year residencies that I attend. Unlike past residencies, this one was quite low key, going to bed at normal hours, still fighting off my sickness, bringing in the new year by playing Rock Band, and watching such films as The Triplets of Belleville, Godzilla: Final Wars, and The Big Lebowski. The true highlight of the whole thing came in the fashion of being paired with an amazing mentor to carry me through this final semester as I scramble to finish my thesis/novel, and whip up an interesting lecture to give this coming summer. My mentor's name is Karen Gettert Shoemaker, and she is an unbelievably intelligent woman that I believe will do everything she can to push me through the final goal posts. Her collection of short stories, Night Sounds and Other Stories, is not one to be missed.
That's really about it this time around. No real drama or craziness.

And that brings you all back up to speed, and allows me to finally comment on my recent comings and goings. Gibberish tomorrow, with a special guest artist on Thursday, so be sure you check back--at the very least--for that one. I'll introduce her more thoroughly on Wednesday.

Have a good one.

No comments: