Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend Recap

What a weekend. Seriously, the weather was gorgeous; I spent some time in the outdoor world, blanketing it up on the grass and hanging out with some sleeping friends (and writing a first draft of a soon-to-be revealed project (more about this as the time gets closer)); and I polished it off with a heaping dose of Indiana Jones.

I can only imagine how many more of you spent your Saturday or Sunday doing the very thing I did: marathoning the first three Indiana Jones. This time through--especially with the back-to-back viewing--I realized what it is that bugs me about Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. It just doesn't feel like the other two films. The tone is all out of whack. There is no humor in the violence. Sure the opening sequence seems to set us up with our familiar Indy, but soon enough, the whole thing shifts, and we've got voodooed Indy slapping around Data from The Goonies. It's a rough ride no matter how you look at it, but it's made all the worse when it's sandwiched between the other two films. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Temple is bad not because of the addition of the "Sidekick", or the overwhelming annoyance of Wilhelmina, it sucks because the tone has gone to the dark side--thus losing the Indy charm. I can only hope and pray that Lucas has not ruined the fourth installment by this, or some other means, since his credibility has been dropping wanning.

In other news, I saw Prince Caspian on Friday and was once again disappointed, but this time for different reasons. You can read my review--when it goes live--here.

Mostly movies in my weekend, though I did get a few art projects together, including a new webcomic for Wednesday. Once I get a few things sorted out, I'll try and provide some links to my other art. Until then, take it easy.

No comments: