Wednesday, May 14, 2008

This Could Be the Beginning of Something Historic...or a Complete Waste of Time

It seems only right to welcome you all to the first blog and to introduce myself, but there are many things in this world that "seem" right, though you are probably better people for never having done them. My introduction to me will be contained in each and every one of these posts, each one a little glimpse through a stained window into the hidden parts of me that should probably not be viewed in open light--and definitely not under a microscope.

The real reason that I decided to start today--besides taking that first step off the giant jagged cliff of personal drive--is that I actually have a few things to write about. No, it wasn't some life-changing revelation that I had. No, it wasn't some messed up dream about moose playing Wii. No, it wasn't some breath-taking moment of real life that made me stop, reassess what it is that makes me take each and every lungful of air. I watched two movies and posted a new comic and a review for Speed Racer.

First, I watched my first Indian/Bollywood film, Saawariya. Still not sure what I think about such things. I'm not a fan of musicals to begin with, then with some of the over-the-top, rather ridiculous acting, I wasn't sure if I could even make it through the film. But, man, this is one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen. Story, acting, zaniness aside, this is one fine looking film. Plus, the story can be alright--as long as you can get past the head jiggling and over-exaggerated facial expressions. In the grand scheme of things, I would watch another Bollywood film, but not anytime soon: I need a bit of a breather.

The other film I watched was Tekkonkinkreet. Normally, I don't watch Anime. Normally, the American culture that swarms around the stuff does nothing but piss me off and embarrass my small shred of patriotic identity. But as one of my friends aptly put it, "Anime is just like anything else, when it's good, it's good." And this one is good. Almost amazing, in fact, but the end --as with many things lately--looses some steam. It's still worth a watch though, even if it's just for the animation: It has quite the style. Plus, the characters are simply wonderful. Anyone would be hard pressed not to fall prey to White's charisma. It's worth your time. Trust me. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd put together a full review for the thing, but alas, I suffer the bouts of sloth.

That being said, wish me luck as I start out this new endeavor. Sometimes I feel like I'm stretching myself to thin, taking on too many projects and ending up frustrated because I don't have any time for each one.

I suppose that is where this thing will come in handy, both exposing myself further to the web world and giving me one more excuse to ignore my real work.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: