Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Joy of Family

It's amazing how things just sort of pick up where you leave off, even if you haven't seen your family for months or years. The way you can just talk about whatever: dying grandparents, going crazy, leche de hombre, space docking, and any other embarassing thing you can think of, so your mother shakes her head and wonders what kinds of crazy beasties she brought into the world. It makes me rather frightened to think what it will be like when I have little miniature versions of myself and my wife. If it's true that you get paid back in kind for the terror you were as a child... man... I'm screwed.

Otherwise, I'd forgotten how nice it is to be away from the city, far from all the traffic noise and street lights and sirens. Just the cool howl of the wind, the star-filled sky, and the distant burble of a river. It's a good feeling, good peace, calm.

Don't think I'm going to be able to hit up Indiana Jones today. It saddens me, but I might be able to fire a gun and fly a plane. I'll probably get knocked out on my ass. And my brothers probably won't let me live it out, but when I'm half their size... whatever.

No comments: