Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tramptastic

The other night my wife and I watched Lady and the Tramp for the first time in however many years. I've never really enjoyed the film--with the exception of the Siamese cats--and, thus, never had much reason to watch the thing. But when my wife suggested it, I agreed.

And while my feelings haven't necessarily changed for the film--I still don't much care for it--it amazed me how well this film is put together. In terms of a story and foreshadowing the events to come, it is, by and large, one of--if not THE--tightest film that Disney has ever put together. Within the first ten minutes of the film, it sets up the entire story through dialogue or visual aids (none of this cheap voice-over work used by so many of today's films), which is a rare feat in any day and age. I won't go into every detail and explain each of their significance, I would just suggest that anyone interested in the way stories are told should watch, then re-watch that film. (I have a feeling that I'm going to use it in whatever class I may teach on writing for understanding foreshadow.)

Other than that, life has continued to be busy. But it's going, and that is all that matters. Plus, there will be Gibberish tomorrow, so what more can you ask for?

No comments: